We All Need Encouragement
Every human being has some ho-hum days and some days when they just feel down. It is part of the human condition. Sometimes, such days are indicators that we need to take time to consider how we are living and whether we need to make some changes. Other days are just those ho-hum days.
God Longs to Give You Comfort and Hope
Here are five cures for those days when you just feel your life is blah, though you know it is not.
- Simply talk to God, out loud , just as if He were a human being and could not understand you unless you spoke in actual words. Putting words to our feelings always calms us down because it prevents wild thoughts from spinning around and around inside. God wants us to bring each detail of our life to Him, the good and the bad. He tells us that in I Peter, chapter 5, verse 7: “Cast all your anxiety on Him [God] because He cares for you.” [emphasis added] It often helps to write out your prayers to God.
- Count your blessings – literally. Start making a list. Here is a link to several versions of the beautiful hymn that says to “Count your many blessings, name them one by one. . . and it will surprise you what the Lord has done. ” Listen, really listen, to the words. http://yhoo.it/1SHAXP0
- Get the focus off yourself by calling a friend who is going through hard times and give them the encouragement you wish you could hear for yourself. Do this in a conscious effort to obey God by helping to carry each other’s burdens. (Galations 6:2) http://bit.ly/23vE1lk You simply cannot “outgive” God. He always rewards obedience. Try it and see.
- Soak your heart in the Psalms, or your other favorite Bible passages. Here is a link to a list of six Psalms that will encourage you, along with comments by a pastor, Zac Poonen, of a church in Colorado. http://bit.ly/1NCSfoR
- Listen to uplifting music. Try some of the 30 uplifting Christian songs listed at this link. Whether you feel like it at this moment, you ARE an overcomer by the power of the blood of the spotless Lamb of God! http://bit.ly/1PUWUEr
- Get outside and look at the beauty of God’s creation. Nature has power to soothe and to heal.
If You Feel Down Often
Dear reader, if you consistently feel down, you may be depressed and not realize it. Go to this link http://abt.cm/1CBrYso There is a quiz at the top of the page you can take. If you are consistently feeling down, you most likely are depressed and you need to talk with a counselor. Please, please do so. If you do not get help, you will keep feeling worse and worse. I was in that position many times over my lifetime until I learned to reach out for professional help when I needed it. Depression is dangerous and hurts you as well as everyone around you. If you do not get help, it gets worse each time it happens. Please get help. Do not try to do it alone.